30 October 2013

My Rules for Trick or Treating




This year, for the first time, I'm taking the boys trick or treating at Halloween. I've resisted for years. Last year I carved a pumpkin into a Jack O'Lantern and placed it by the front door. It certainly attracted more callers, but in previous years - with no Halloween paraphernalia - we still had plenty of trick or treaters.

One year I had a distraught Presley to deal with at Halloween. He had managed to shell some acorns and shove the bits up his nose. I had to consol him, answer the door, shove sweets at strangers and think about calling NHS Direct.

This year, Halloween falls in the middle of our half term. We are going to a friend's house, with some other families, for a take-a-plate Halloween tea (I'll be searching Pinterest for spooky food ideas). Then, when it gets dark, we'll go trick or treating. We have costumes. We have plastic buckets in the shape of pumpkins. We're ready.

BUT... I have some rules that I'd like to share with you.

SANDY'S HALLOWEEN RULES:

If I ruled the world, Halloween would happen like this.

  1. If you want trick or treaters to knock on your door, leave a pumpkin on your doorstep. If you don't, don't.
  2. If you go trick or treating, only knock on doors where there is a pumpkin on the doorstop.




Actually, if I ruled the world 31st October would be just another day.

Bah humbug.

Do you celebrate Halloween?



.
Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. I 100% agree with your rules. I have never taken the children trick or treating (they're only 5&3) and I'm going to hold out for as long as possible. I don't mind trick or treaters knocking on our door, as long as they've made an effort to dress up. We're having a tea party at home with 9 children, apple bobbing & cake eating. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rachel, Happy Halloween to you too, I've held out for years too. Your party sounds fab :)

      Delete
  2. We only really go to people's houses we know. This year we went to playgroup, my friend's house, nanny's house, and a couple of neighbours we know in her road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Pinkoddy, we had a great time and only visited houses with pumpkins or other Halloween decorations. We were chased down the road a couple of times by people who hadn't decorated, but who clearly didn't want to be left with a load of sweets :)

      Delete
  3. Generally here people do follow the pumpkin rule. It's definitely a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Emma, yes, I like it a lot. It really helps.

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin