1 October 2013

CAKEZILLA




A few weeks ago I made the cake to beat all cakes for the boys' birthday party - even if I do say so myself. 

We called it Cakezilla and you can see why.




It was huge, and I'm really rather pleased with it. I think it was my most liked ever Facebook update and Instagram photograph.

It was two regular vanilla sponges sandwiched together with chocolate butter cream. I'd also covered it in chocolate butter cream, placed chocolate finger biscuits all around the sides, and put giant chocolate buttons and assorted sprinkes on the top. 

If I hadn't made it up as I went along I would have made the cake chocolate, but it was yumminess on a plate anyway.




I had some butter cream, giant chocolate buttons and sprinkles left over, so I also decorated these 12-for-60p fairy cakes from Morrisons to serve at the party. They went down very well too. 



Recipe for Cakezilla Vanilla Sponge
  1. Weigh 4 eggs in their shells. Use this weight for the plain flour, butter or marg, and caster sugar.
  2. Add baking powder and vanilla essence.
  3. Make an all-in-one batter. I use an electric hand whisk.
  4. Add a drop of milk if the batter is too thick.
  5. Cook in a 9" spring cake tin, sprayed with cake release spray, for 30-40 minutes at 180. The cake is done when a knife or skewer poked in the centre comes out clean.
Repeat steps 1-5 for the second cake (if the first simply isn't high enough).


Recipe for Cakezilla Chocolate Butter Cream
  1. Put 250g of salted butter, 50g of cocoa powder and 450g of icing sugar in the bowl of your mixer.
  2. Cover your mixer with a tea-towel to stop the icing sugar from escaping.
  3. Mix slowly at first, then at full speed for 5 minutes.
  4. Scrape the sides of the bowl to incorporate all of the ingredients.
  5. Add some milk if your icing is too thick. Mix for a final 2 minutes.
  6. Clean up the icing sugar that still managed to escape from your mixer.


Do let me know if you make anything similar. I can guarantee you will have a queue of children - and grown-ups - waiting for a slice of your Cakezilla.





.


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. oh how i love a chocolate cake! and yours just looks marvellous! thank you for linking up with the #fridayfoodie

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin